I just stumbled upon the Tomcat webdav servlet, which *almost* meets all my needs.

1. Is there some more complete documentation somewhere?

By default the servlet accesses the file system inside the web context. (That is, a servlet mapped to /context/webapp/* will show files in /context/webapp/ .)

2. What happens when I deploy my webapp as a .war---surely webdav methods won't modify the contents of the .war, will they?

3. How do I map the servlet to an absolute file on the server machine? The need for this is obvious in relation to the second question---I'd like to deploy my web application (the "code" in the .war) independently of the webdav-accessible documents (the "data").

4. I'm sure I'll get into this once I get more documentation, but where should I start looking regarding implementing custom security methods? That is, rather than defining static users and passwords, I'd like my web application to dynamically validate all webdav accesses.

Thanks,

Garret