Back to my original issue--I was having trouble shutting down Tomcat
when the shutdown service was listening to a non-default port, but have
since sorted it out.

After going through the source code, I found that when processing the
shutdown command, the Bootstrap system just uses the configuration in
CATALINA_BASE, so all you need to do change the port in server.xml, and
make sure your shutdown script references the correct directory
hierarchy.

Thanks,
Dhruva

--- Steve Kirk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> OK.  I didn't realise that, although I suppose it's obvious in
> hindsight.  I
> just saw the potential for it to go wrong if that "localhost" check
> failed,
> and disabled it.  I didn't actually test whether it could be shutdown
> from
> another host.

=== message truncated ===