Good guess, but no... not using anything of the sort. :)

Yoav, I agree, 99.9% of the time, it's my fault. As you can see in the
stack trace, it's being called directly from Struts. I don't really see
how my code could cause this.

It sure looks like ApplicationHttpRequest.getRequest() returned itself a
copy of itself...

I didn't notice the CPU, I caught this fairly quickly.