Thanks to everyone who addressed this issue. The behavior is interesting.

IE is different than the rest. Opera is unpredictable from my limited study. Netscape and Mozilla Firefox predictably are the same.

Here is what happens with IE 6.0, Opera 7.54, Netscape 7.1 and Mozilla Firefox 5.0. I find that the behavior is actually quite complex across browsers, etc., and partly depends upon if you have the page attempt to access session data (at least this is so with Opera).

IE ALONE

   1.  Open browser A and add session data affecting the GUI
   2.  Open browser B with Start menu and the session data is not
   reflected.
   3.  Open browser C from A with ctrl-n and you get the same as A.
   4.  Open browser D from B with ctrl-n and you get the same as B.

   N.B.: The above is true whether we attempt to access session
   information or not, e.g. from a Struts ActionForm instance that was
   in session.

Opera ALONE

1. Open browser A and add session data affecting GUI
2. Open browser B with Start menu and the session data is not
reflected sometimes in the opening page and sometimes is reflected. There is no clear logic to this.
3. Opening a browser C with ctrl-n just gets you a new browser
window with the default URL unrelated to A or B.

Mozilla ALONE

   1.  Open browser A and add session data affecting GUI
   2.  Open browser B with Start menu and the session data is reflected
   in the new browser.
   3.  Open browser C with ctrl-n and you get a new window with the
   default URL unrelated to A or B.

Netscape ALONE

   1.  Open browser A and add session data affecting GUI
   2.  Open browser B with Start menu and the session data is reflected
   in the new browser.
   3.  Open browser C with ctrl-n and you get a new window with the
   default URL unrelated to A or B.

Steffen Heil wrote:

Hi

When I open a new browser, I am getting session data in the new browser

that was in another browser.

Actually, at least for my IE it works as follows:

If I spawn a new browser window pressing ctrl-n, it is seen as a second view
for the same content and as such, IE keeps the cookies and therefor the
session.

If I open a new browser window through the start menu, it is a new instance
and therefor has no shared cookies and no shared session.

As this makes sense to me, I supose other browsers handle things similar.

Regards,
Steffen