Hi.

As I understand it from lurking on this list a very long time, servlet spec 2.3 and earlier validated the web.xml file on a DTD. DTDs require the elements be in the right order and tomcat will throw an exception when the webapp is deployed with elements out of order. Servlet Spec 2.4 web.xml files are validated against a schema and don't suffer that limitation.

--David

Steve Kirk wrote:

that section opens by talking about the web-app element and says "All sub
elements under this element can be in an arbitrary order."  so it seems that
even if orderingused to be an issue, it's not any longer.

Also, the docs caution that I should respect element ordering in the
web.xml file, but they don't tell me what the ordering should be.
Where is this ordering documented?

SRV.13.4 of the Servlet Spec lists the order.
http://www.jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/final/jsr154/