Brett,

I have a similar problem. But what is interesting is that it only seem
slow when I test using a Windows 2000 pro box using IE 6 against a
Windows 2003 Server. Try using an XP pro box to test the same
functionality.

Also, here are diagrams that explain the situation I am having.  I have
submitted the issue to Microsoft and have one of their engineers on the
case. I will keep everyone posted on what they discover.

(please view this email in plain text for diagrams to display correctly
below)

File Download from ONE is slow, ALL others are FAST

Windows 2003 Server:                            Windows 2000
Professional
|-----------------------|                       |-----------|
|       Tomcat 5.0.28   |       SLOW            |               |
|       IIS6                    |-------------> |       IE6     |

|       JK2                     |   FROM CART   |               |
|-----------------------|                       |-----------|

Windows 2003 Server:                            Windows 2000
Professional
|-----------------------|                       |-----------|
|       Tomcat 5.0.28   |       FAST            | ANY OTHER     |
|       IIS6                    |-------------> | BROWSER       |

|       JK2                     |  FROM CART    |               |
|-----------------------|                       |-----------|

Windows 2003 Server:                            Windows XP and Mac OSX
|-----------------------|                       |-----------|
|       Tomcat 5.0.28   |       FAST            | IE 6  |
|       IIS6                    |-------------> | or Safari     |

|       JK2                     |  FROM CART    |               |
|-----------------------|                       |-----------|

Windows 2003 Server:                            ALL recent OS's
|-----------------------|                       |-----------|
|       Tomcat 5.0.28   |       FAST            | All recent|
|       (running on             |-------------> |  browsers     |
| port 8080 standalone) |  FROM CART    |               |
|-----------------------|                       |-----------|

RedHat Linux                                    ALL recent OS's
|-----------------------|                       |-----------|
|       Tomcat 5.0.28   |       FAST            | All recent|
|       Apache 2.0.x    |-------------> |  browsers     |
|       JK2                     |  FROM CART    |               |
|-----------------------|                       |-----------|

Downloading a 1.3M file from a website cart to a Windows 2000 Pro
desktop running latest IE 6 is slow and takes 15 seconds

Downloading the same 1.3M file to a Windows XP box running IE 6, a
Windows Pro box running Mozilla, and a Mac OSX running safari takes
approx 1 second

Spoke with Microsoft, we put a 1M file in a virtual directory on IIS.
It downloaded in approx 1 second to Windows Pro / IE6.

When I take IIS/mod_jk out of the picture, and go directly to Tomcat on
8080 the download is fast to All OS's and Browsers.

Also, Apache has no problem downloading the file fast to All OS /
browser combinations, including Windows 2000 / IE6!!!

So does anyone know why the download is slow between IIS 6 and Windows
2000 Pro / IE6 and fast to all other clients.
Is there something I can do to my IIS server to make the download go
faster.  Two other facts that are important... 1. the file being
downloaded from the cart is on a remote file server and is being
published through IIS via a UNC path from a shared folder.  This is true
for all scenarios shown above.  And, 2. We are required to run IIS 6 in
IIS 5 isolation mode due to the isapi_redirector2.dll can not handle IIS
6 native mode under large loads.  I did try to do the download running
IIS 6 in native mode, but the download was still slow.  Seems to be a
weird buffer restriction when IIS 6 and IE6 on Windows 2000 talk to each
other.

Confounded.  Any suggestions????