I have a WebPage which can be called from two different webpages, and I wanted it to have a back button.

Originally I had the calling pages passing a parameter to tell the called page what called it. Then someone pointed
out <%=request.getHeader("REFERER")%> to m. This works much better.

But I have 2 questions:
1. Where are these header values defined I've not beeen able to find a good source.
2. It worked when coming from my pages but I then tried going to another page (e.g www.sun.com) and then pasting in the url and it just returned null. Does referer only apply when hyperlink from another page ?