Hi,
I already answered this... Maybe my post was lost.

>I had a search through the J2EE spec.  It does not appear to me to
>_require_
>that DataSources are provided in a pooled implementation.  It seems to
be
>preferred.  For example:

You're right.  Containers are required to support binding of a
DataSource, but it doesn't have to be pooling.  Most implementations
give the user the choice, as does Tomcat.  You can use DBCP in
non-pooling ways (set maxActive to infinite), or use any DataSource
implementation whether it supports pooling or not.

>Also there are the other Qs in my last post - including, what is the
effect
>of including this:
>       <parameter>
>               <name>factory</name>
>
><value>org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSourceFactory</value>
>       </parameter>

That's effectively required for Tomcat to be able to create
org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource instances.  The general JNDI
approach in Tomcat is factory-based (this has since been replicated in
many other server implementations), where the provider impl includes a
factory, so Tomcat doesn't actually ever call x = new
BasicDataSource(...).

>To reiterate, my original issue is that I'm trying to understand
whether or
>not TC *always* pools container-managed DataSources.

That's a simple No.  And there are valid use-cases where you don't want
them pooled, although those are fairly esoteric.

I wonder where my original post in this thread, which had all this
information, went ;)

Yoav

and/or privileged.  This e-mail is intended only for the individual(s) to whom
it is addressed, and may not be saved, copied, printed, disclosed or used by
anyone else.  If you are not the(an) intended recipient, please immediately