250ms response time is rock solid. Getting the total response time
lower than 250ms is pretty darn tough. based on your info, that means
each tomcat is getting on average 15-16 concurrent requests.

one way to improve the response time would be to use smart caching and
avoid the cost of making a real insert/update to the database. that
will mainly depend on the requirements of your application. 35
pageviews/second is good amount of traffic, but it's not the crazy
traffic that yahoo or google support :)  then again yahoo and google
both have tens of thousands of servers.

peter