From: Wade Chandler [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 2004 8:35 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Moving from 4.1.27 to 5.0.28?

Bjørn T Johansen wrote:

I am thinging of upgrading our prod Tomcat server from 4.1.27 to 5.0.28
(or is 5.5.4 a safer bet?) and I was wondering if there would be any
problems when upgrading?
Anything particular I should think of?

Regards,

BTJ

Personally I'm using 5.0.28 and I love it. I usually wait a couple of iterations after a major release like 5.5.x because of new things and bugs. 5.5.x is a rewrite of a bunch of underlying code said to improve performance, stabilization, and TOC. I usually give them time to air out some bugs, so I might switch to 5.5.x around 5.5.7/8/9 something like that. That's just a personal measure from my own experience with a code base and major changes. As far as being stable, I haven't had to restart Tomcat 5.0.28 in a long time. Not sure the number of days, but it's in the months, and that was just because of having to reboot the computer.

Wade

This e-mail, including any attachments, is a confidential business communication, and may contain information that is confidential, proprietary and/or privileged. This e-mail is intended only for the individual(s) to whom it is addressed, and may not be saved, copied, printed, disclosed or used by anyone else. If you are not the(an) intended recipient, please immediately delete this e-mail from your computer system and notify the sender. Thank you.

Total ownership cost. I guess that should have been TCO. Total cost of ownership. :-P. That was one of the things the tomcat web site said about Tomcat 5.5. I assume that means it has some improvements to the manager and the administrator...?, or is the TCO reduction or assumed reduction a result of it being more stable with better performance, so lower resources are needed?

Wade