From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

Sent:   Wednesday, March 14, 2001 12:55 PM
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        Using Apache/Tomcat in high-traffic site

Hi,

I am looking to use Apache and Tomcat in my company's production web site.
Before I can convince management that this is a good idea I need some
information so I am confident.  If anyone can help I'll be very grateful.

First of all I'll give you a picture of the overall architecture that I want
create:

1)  For fault-tolerance and scaleability we want to have several instances
of
Apache running over a number of machines.  These will be load balanced by a
pair
of Cisco Local Director boxes, because we already own a couple of them.
>From a
brief look through the operating manual on Cisco's web site I get the
impression
that Local Director cannot support "sticky" load-balancing.  Please correct
me
if I'm wrong.

2)  We will run several instances of Tomcat (version 3.2.1 most likely) on
our
back-end servers.  These are a couple of Sun E10000s with 32 processors
each.
These are partitioned up into domains, so that we end up with 12 processors
on
each machine dedicated to running Tomcat.  Each domain has 2GB of RAM.
There
are other domains dedicated to databases, etc...

3)  Each instance of Apache will be using mod_jk in a "sticky" load-balanced
configuration.  Every instance of Apache (and so mod_jk) will have workers
defined for every instance of Tomcat on both E10000s.  In other words, a
Tomcat
instance may receive a request from any instance of Apache.

The things I need to know :)

1)  Each request to our site will be assigned seemingly at random to one of
the
Apache instances by the Cisco boxes.  Can the "sticky" part of mod_jk cope
with
this?  i.e.  Will mod_jk pass the request to the correct Tomcat instance
even
though it does not share context information with the other Apache
instances?

2)  What is the best way of running Tomcat on the large E10000s?  Should I
have
just a few very large processes (say 2 x 800MB max heap) for Tomcat or
should I
run many smaller processes (say 16 x 100MB max heap)?  Has anyone got any
experience with making Tomcat (or any Java based server) scale to machines
of
this size and power?  I want to get good performance, but I don't want to
compromise stability.

3)  Has anyone used Tomcat in a mission critical environment?  I use it in
development all the time and I'm very happy with it, but I'd like to get
some
impression of how it holds up.

4)  Are there any security considerations with this configuration?  We have
firewalls, intrusion detection kit, etc... for which we have a dedicated
maintenance team.  I'm really only interested in the software here.  Has
anyone
used the new Java 2 security features with Tomcat?

Thank you very much indeed!

Cheerio, Woody.

Internet communications are not secure. This message is confidential to the
addressee. Any copying or distribution of it by anyone without the
addressee's
consent may be unlawful. If you are not the intended addressee, please
inform
us immediately and then delete this message.

Virginmoney Limited is regulated by the Personal Investment Authority for
investment business only. Virginmoney Limited is registered with the
Mortgage
Code Compliance Board and is a member of the General Insurance Standards
Council.

Virginmoney Limited's registered office: Discovery House, Whiting Road,
Norwich, NR4 6EJ. Registered in England no. 3427512.