Yep Tim is correct, BipIP is a piece of network kit which has its own
     IP address, users come to that IP address and the request is served by
     a web-server chosen by BigIP. BigIP can be configured to remember
     which client IP addresses it has dealt with recently and stick that
     user to a particular web-server (unless that web-server is dead).

     So I figure it's best to let BigIP do the sticky session bit since
     that's part of its core functionality. (Note that if you have a less
     intelligent splitter thats no problem mod_jk will know which Tomcat a
     particular user should go to, note sure how mind you - probably
     because the cookies are shared ?)

     I've tested my config (which is two physical servers, each running one
     Apache and one Tomcat) by killing Apaches and Tomcats, the only effect
     visible to the user is if you kill the Tomcat containing his session
     he needs to login again (good enough for me). So once the users Tomcat
     is dead the Apache (mod_jk really) handles the fact and sends Tomcat
     requests over to the Tomcat instance on the other physical host.

     But I'd still like to know if I can configure mod_jk to ALWAYS send
     users to the local Tomcat unless thats down, in which case send them
     elsewhere. Currently it seems to favour its local Tomcat but not 100%,
     still works though !

     Steve Quail.