That would be because I saw a post from someone on the mailing lists.
Those setings prevent resource locking (such as under windows
platform) when you are trying to access file system or resources
withing jar files.

There is a FAQ:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/faq/windows.html#lock

p.s. those settings didn't help me to resolve my problem (when I just
import log4j in a JSP). But seem to help most other people.