okokokok...

1. I renamed my directory structure "c:\jsp\tomcat"
2. I set TOMCAT_HOME to this directory
3. I set JAVA_HOME to "c:\jdk1.3"
4. I ran the "COMMAND.COM..." over my C: as Bo suggested.
5. I tried startup again and got:
        Out of environment space
        Out of environment space
        Out of environment space
        Out of environment space
        Out of environment space
        Out of environment space
        Out of environment space
        Unable to set CLASSPATH dynamically.
        Note: To set the CLASSPATH dynamically on Win9x systems
        only DOS 8.3 names may be used in TOMCAT_HOME!
        Setting your CLASSPATH statically.
        Out of environment space
        Out of environment space
        Out of environment space
        Out of environment space
        Out of environment space
        Out of environment space
        Out of environment space

        Using CLASSPATH: C:\JSP\TOMCAT\classes

        Out of environment space
        Starting Tomcat in new window
        Bad command or file name
        C:\jsp\tomcat>

I'm still going wrong...just don't see where it is....

Joel