Hi,

Are you using init() method of the servlet for
fetching init parameters like this?

String str =
getServletConfig().getInitParameter("param1");

Rgrds,
Hardik

--- Raasi Potluri <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Dear Friends,
>
> I have written a simple servlet which reads a init
> parameter from the web.xml file and displays on the
> browser. I'm a beginner and trying to learn simple
> servlets, I have reached where I can read some init
> params from the web.xml file and displays on the
> browser, but all the simple servlets are working
> without any hassle, but reading init parameter
> returns
> null in the servlet, because I triend to print that
> on
> to the console, but it returns null, please help me,
> awaiting a reply, regards Raasi
>
> web.xml looks like this

> <!--
>   Copyright 2004 The Apache Software Foundation
>
>   Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0
> (the
> "License");
>   you may not use this file except in compliance
> with
> the License.
>   You may obtain a copy of the License at
>
>       http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
>
>   Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in
> writing, software
>   distributed under the License is distributed on an
> "AS IS" BASIS,
>   WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND,
> either
> express or implied.
>   See the License for the specific language
> governing
> permissions and
>   limitations under the License.
> -->
>
> <web-app xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee";

> xsi:schemaLocation="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee
> http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee/web-app_2_4.xsd";
>     version="2.4">
>
>   <display-name>Welcome to Tomcat</display-name>
>   <description>
>      Welcome to Tomcat
>   </description>
>

> <!-- JSPC servlet mappings start -->
>
>     <servlet>

<servlet-name>org.apache.jsp.index_jsp</servlet-name>

<servlet-class>org.apache.jsp.index_jsp</servlet-class>
>     </servlet>
>
>     <servlet-mapping>

<servlet-name>org.apache.jsp.index_jsp</servlet-name>
>         <url-pattern>/index.jsp</url-pattern>
>     </servlet-mapping>
>

>     <servlet>
>         <servlet-name>HelloServlet</servlet-name>
>         <servlet-class>HelloServlet</servlet-class>
>     </servlet>
>

>     <servlet-mapping>
>         <servlet-name>HelloServlet</servlet-name>
>         <url-pattern>/HelloServlet</url-pattern>
>     </servlet-mapping>
>
>     <servlet>

<servlet-name>InternationalizedHelloWorld</servlet-name>

<servlet-class>com.jspbook.InternationalizedHelloWorld</servlet-class>
>       <init-param>
>          <param-name>greeting</param-name>
>          <param-value>Kisahairetu</param-value>
>       </init-param>
>     </servlet>
>
>     <servlet-mapping>

<servlet-name>InternationalizedHelloWorld</servlet-name>

<url-pattern>/InternationalizedHelloWorld</url-pattern>