I looked in the wrong source codes.  I should have
looked at Catalina.java.  Here is the link:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-tomcat-catalina/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/startup/Catalina.java?rev=1.35&view=log

Anyhow, the await() call is at line 578 but thats
after the server has started.  It is after these lines
    562         long t2 = System.currentTimeMillis();
    563         log.info("Server startup in " + (t2 -
t1) + " ms");
....  some test if useShutdownHook...
    578         if (await) {..
Check your log file if it has made it this far.

aka_sergio