If you look at the 5.0.28 src distro, you can see that line 519 of Catalina.java includes a reference to the server object. Most likely the npe is happening because the server initialization is failing.

The first error ("Can't load server.xml") looks like it is generated by the load method when it can't open the file.

Phil

sven morales wrote:
  I looked in the wrong source codes.  I should have
looked at Catalina.java.  Here is the link:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-tomcat-catalina/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/startup/Catalina.java?rev=1.35&view=log

Anyhow, the await() call is at line 578 but thats
after the server has started.  It is after these lines
    562         long t2 = System.currentTimeMillis();
    563         log.info("Server startup in " + (t2 -
t1) + " ms");
....  some test if useShutdownHook...
    578         if (await) {..
Check your log file if it has made it this far.

aka_sergio

--- sven morales <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi,
   You seem to have added quite a few lines into
your
catalina.sh.  The stock script ends at line 287 for
me.  Can you tell us what modifications you have
made?
   Funny that I can not find how the server.xml is
loaded by the DigesterFactory.java nor by
Bootstrap.java when I browsed their source code.

aka_sergio

--- Sean Schofield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I am an experienced Tomcat user who is all of a
sudden having trouble
running Tomcat on my home machine.  I am running
Tomcat 5.0.28 and I
get a Null Pointer when trying to start Tomcat.

I have JAVA_HOME and CATALINA_HOME configured.

The very first line in the output says "Can't load
server.xml"
(actually the second line says the same thing as
well.)  I tried
chaning to the minimal server.xml as well but no
luck.

The stack trace seems to indicate a NullPointer
exception at
Catalina.await line 619.  I have tried looking

this

up on the mailing
lists, but incredibly, nobody seems to have
experienced this problem!

Anyways, any insight that could be provided would

be

greatly
appreciated.  I've never had this problem before

TIA,

sean

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
For additional commands, e-mail: