Mark,

When you cleaned out the caches (by deleting the work directory) were you able to move the standard.jar and jstl.jar to "shared/lib" and then be able to use JSTL?

I did that -- I deleted the 'work' directory and then moved the JARs from common/lib to shared/lib and re-started TC. Now I have the exception below. Is the JSP compiler not looking using "shared/lib" classloader, I wonder?

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: The absolute uri: http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/core cannot be resolved in either web.xml or the jar files deployed with this application
org.apache.jasper.compiler.DefaultErrorHandler.jspError(DefaultErrorHandler.java:50) org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.dispatch(ErrorDispatcher.java:411) org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.jspError(ErrorDispatcher.java:118) org.apache.jasper.compiler.TagLibraryInfoImpl.generateTLDLocation(TagLibraryInfoImpl.java:316) org.apache.jasper.compiler.TagLibraryInfoImpl.<init>(TagLibraryInfoImpl.java:147) org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parseTaglibDirective(Parser.java:418) org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parseDirective(Parser.java:483) org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parseElements(Parser.java:1539) org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parse(Parser.java:126) org.apache.jasper.compiler.ParserController.doParse(ParserController.java:220) org.apache.jasper.compiler.ParserController.parse(ParserController.java:101) org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.generateJava(Compiler.java:203) org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:495) org.apache.jasper.comp!
iler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:476) org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:464) org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile(JspCompilationContext.java:511) org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:295) org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:292) org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:236) javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:802)----- Original Message -----From: "Mark Thomas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>To: "Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>Sent: Sunday, January 23, 2005 9:21 AMSubject: Re: ?? Sharing the JSTL JARS and Classloading ??> Tony LaPaso wrote:>> Incidentally, in reading the Tomcat docs for "Classloading", it seemsthat any classes in a web app's "lib" directory *should* be able to seeclasses in the "shared/lib" directory. Similarly, any classes in"shared/lib" *should* be able to see what's in "common/lib".>> This works as you !
expect. I just tested it with a clean TC5 build fromCVS. That being sa
id I noticed the following whilst I was testing which mayhelp:> - I needed to clean out the work directory for my app between each test.> - I needed to restart Tomcat for each test.>> If I didn't do both of the above then various caches (already loadedclasses, JSPs that have already been compiled, etc) all contributed to weirdresults.>>> <angry-rant>>> The crappy, incomplete Tomcat documentation strikes again. One of the badthings about these open source projects is that since no one "owns them" noone has responsibility to work on anything except what they're interestedin. The result is often neglected, shoddy and incomplete documentation.>> </angry-rant>>> You are as much of the Tomcat community as anyone else. If you knowsomewhere where the docs are wrong (which you must do to be able to callthem crappy and incomplete - and by implication neglected and shoddy) whynot redirect your energy from futile ranting into creating patches toimprove the documentation and contribute t!
o the community.>>> So, again, it seems weird that putting the JSTL JARs in "common/lib"works fine while putting them in "shared/lib" doesn't. When I put them in"shared/lib" I get the exception shown below. From the exception below itseems to me that the classes in "common/lib" (e.g.,javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet) do not have access to classes in"shared/lib" (e.g., org.apache.taglibs.standard.tag.rt.core.ForEachTag)although the classes in "common/lib" *DO* obviously have access to classesin a web app's "lib" directory.>>>> If only the classloader docs were better....>> In terms of the hierarchy, the docs are right. Perhaps what needs to beadded is the circumstances where restarts (app or tomcat) are required forchanges to take effect.>> For the record, my own view is that the increased effort required tomanage shared jars is rarely worth the disk space and memory it saves.>> Mark>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------> To unsubscribe, e-mai!
l: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> For additional commands
, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]>>