I have had the same problem of Tomcat not terminating and having to be
killed by hand.

It occurred with Tomcat 5.0.27, JDK1.4.2, RH Enterprise Linux 3 when I
enabled JMX via jk2 configuration.

I tried 5.0.28 but the same happened using jk2, so I put JMX on a back
burner.

Now I'm using 5.5.7, JDK1.4.2_06 and the same thing happens - but again,
only when mx.enabled is true.

Uname -a gives:

2.4.21-4.ELsmp #1 SMP Fri Oct 3 17:52:56 EDT 2003 i686 i686 i386
GNU/Linux

The problem seems to happen even with a clean distro - all it takes is
for jk2.properties to be modified to start JMX support, with the MX jars
in common/lib.

Fortunately it happens every time on ./shutdown.sh so I hope someone can
shed some light on it.

I'd like to use JMX even without JDK1.5 - maybe using jsvc is a
workaround. I don't want to force a process kill as normal procedure, in
case some cleanup is skipped such as session persistence.

Paul