I believe there is an issue with failover, however, with this route (thus, the second use case for load balancers - failover). If an IP address in the DNS list goes down, it can take up to 48 hours before the DNS maps are updated to reflect the loss of one of the IPs. In the meantime, clients may be getting directed to a server that is not available.

Someone pls correct me if I'm wrong about that.

From: Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Tomcat Users List <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Load balancing SSL sessions
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 16:01:10 -0600

you can also use DNS round robin,

www.mysite.com resolves to two or more IP addresses.

Filip

Andrew Miehs wrote:

We use F5 BigIPs, but they are probably overkill for your application - The cisco probably will be as well.

A 'Cheap' software solution might be to work with redirects, and 2 separate IP addresses.
ie: ssl1.mysite.com and ssl2.mysite.com - You will need 2 ssl keys though for this to work.

Does all of your app require ssl? or just a certain part, ie: payment. Do you need the stickiness
for the whole app? or just for the ssl (seeing you are using tomcat, you will probably need it for the whole app)...

Andrew