Right, a well formed web application is packaged with its dependent classes.
Tomcat loads classes from either WEB-INF/classes folder or the lib folder in
the form of a JAR for your webapp, or other places like common/lib and
shared/lib. It does not use your system classpath.

The previous poster was absolutely right with his advice. You need to sort out
your build environment. You can still have 1 source respository, but when you
build (via Ant let's say since it's the most ubiquitous) you direct compiled
classes into your 2 locations. You could perhaps wrap them in a JAR for
Tomcat's purposes, it's up to you.

Having the same classes twice is no bad thing - having source twice is.

Allistair.

QAS Ltd.
Developers of QuickAddress Software
Registered in England: No 2582055