-----Original Message-----
    From: QM
    :    If tomcat searches %servlet%/WEB-INF/classes/package/class
    :    why can't it search without the package layer?

    It's got naught to do with a Tomcat failing;
I'm not 'blaming' Tomcat, just saying its a mismatch
with standard java.

  packageless
    classes are considered a poor programming practice.  As
    such, they're not allowed under servlet spec 2.4.

Sounds like a 'sound' committee decision :-)

That's a view I don't share. I'd say its a judgement
that Sun shouldn't have made IMHO.

regards DaveP