Thanks Sven,

I did how you suggested:

First I erased the caches:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] num]# cd
/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-5.0.12/work/Catalina/localhost
[EMAIL PROTECTED] localhost]# rm -rf ./*
[EMAIL PROTECTED] localhost]# ll
total 0

At this point, I renamed with mv
$CATALINA_HOME/webapps/ROOT/index.jsp, to
index.jsp.ok:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] localhost]# ls
$CATALINA_HOME/webapps/ROOT/
index.jsp.ok  jakarta-banner.gif  RELEASE-NOTES.txt
tomcat.gif  tomcat-power.gif  WEB-INF

Then I restarted Tomcat, and checked the cache:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] localhost]# ll
/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-5.0.12/work/Catalina/localhost
total 36
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Apr  5
18:58 _
drwxr-xr-x    3 root     root         4096 Apr  5
18:58 admin
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Apr  5
18:58 cart06
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Apr  5
18:58 DBTest
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Apr  5
18:58 jsp-examples
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Apr  5
18:58 manager
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Apr  5
18:58 paypal
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Apr  5
18:58 servlets-examples
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Apr  5
18:58 tomcat-docs

We can see that the cache was re-created at startup by
Tomcat.

Now I browse to www.myurl.com:8080, and ...

I get the index.jsp file (the one with "If you're
seeing this page via a web browser, it means you've
setup Tomcat successfully. Congratulations!"), as if I
had not deleted it in Tomcat's ROOT context!

I don't get it... All Tomcat Contexts created at
install, like ROOT, behave in this way: modifying the
jsp files, or erasing them, has no effect at all.

Any hint would be highly appreciated.

Helena