1a) It depends on your code. TOmcat can handle it but only if your code can also scale.
1b) Free: Jmeter, seige, apache ab - it depends on the type of test
2) See the faq or wiki
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/faq/performance.html
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-tomcat/UsefulLinks
3) Maybe. This really depends on
- Do you have multiple CPUs
- Can you a single JVM use multiple CPU's effectively (as compared to 2 or more)
- Do you have enough memory
- What nuances (to your advantage or disadvantage) are there is thread scheduing across mutlitple JVMs / CPUs for your OS.

-Tim

Shrikant Navelkar wrote:
Hi,

We are planning to deploy an application (JSP/Tomcat/Oracle) for 300-400 concurrent users. The hardware is HP/True UNIX platform and it is very powerful. Unfortunately we can not deploy the application in a phased wise manner.

Can somebody help us to understand :
1. How scalable Tomcat is ? Are there sufficient examples of Tomcat for 300 + users ?
1. What are the tools available for scalability testing ?
2. Any document describing performance tuning of Tomcat server
3. Can we implement multiple tomcat instances on same server for better performance ?