I'm running Tomcat 5.5.9 on a Windows2000 server. I am not running Apache
and for various reasons won't be installing it. I'm not a Tomcat
administrator so I may sound a bit clueless.

I have tried to follow the instructions on
http://www.ex-parrot.com/~pete/tomcat-vhost.html but am confused or don't
understand.

Here's the setup that I want:
- I have the domain "smpdev.mwhglobal.com" that points at my Tomcat
server's IP address.
- My files are in /Tomcat5.5/SMP/
- I have a Default.jsp page in /Tomcat5.5/SMP/jsp/Default.jsp. There is an
entry in web.xml for this app for the Welcome file.
- I have a folder /Tomcat5.5/conf/Catalina/SMP with SMP.xml. That file
contains <Context path="" reloadable="true" docBase="SMP"> and my database
connection info.
- I've tried adding a new <Host> entry in server.xml, based on the info on
the ex-parrot page (linked above):

<Host name="$host" debug="0" appBase="webapps/$host"
        unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"

<Alias>$alias</Alias>
</Host>

What I don't know is what "$host" should be or "$alias" in the server.xml
file.
I also don't know if some of my folders should actually be called
"smpdev.mwhglobal.com" instead of "SMP".

If I hit http://smpdev.mwhglobal.com/SMP/jsp/Default.jsp I can access the
application. However, I want http://smpdev.mwhglobal.com to go directly to
this page.

BTW, this is all inside our network so you won't be able to hit the
server.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Matt Puccio
Senior Application Developer