If all you're doing is serve static pages, both are equivalent. However, if you ever need dynamic content, either client or server side, for example a page whose content is extracted from a database, or a form for which you need to record the values, you need some kind of intelligence.

For that job, Apache relies on cgi and php, while Tomcat relies on Servlets and JSP, both based on Java.

Unless you have a good reason to switch to Apache, you should stick to Tomcat.

Ah, okay. The only reason we were considering switching to Apache was to possibly improve the performance of our Java applet.

Chris