Thanks for your elaborate reply - actually, someone else also suggested to use commons HTTPClient. I might have over-explained all this - the major difference is that the servlet is being launched by Quartz, not by an outside HTTP request. Thus, it is the servlet that needs to be able to receive the response to its own request, and it appears that HTTPClient might enable the servlet to do this.

Michael

----- Original Message ----- From: "Frank W. Zammetti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Cc: "Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 10:05 AM
Subject: Re: Can a servlet receive its own request?

If however, as I suspect might be the case, your servlet is going to actually be awaiting a reply from the outside server, then you should look at using Commons HTTPClient. I'm relatively sure it supports SSL connections, and then all your doing is making a remote request, awaiting the response and processing accordingly. It'd be just like using the standard URL object, but it's more robust than that.

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect