This question has been asked (and answered to) earlier, but I am still unsure:

I am using container managed security with form-based authentication. I am really happy with how it works. But now I would like to perform an action when a user has authenticated, such as loading user preferences and store them in the session.

First I thought I could use a HttpSessionListener for that. Now I know when a new session has been created, but what I am missing is the username. The only way to get it seems to be from a request using getRemoteUser(). Or am I wrong? I really hope I am...

I read about setting up a filter but then read somewhere else that this is not reliable.

I also found this article "Active Authentication" http://java.sys-con.com/read/37660.htm which sounds interesting but the link to the source code is broken, so I don't get how to implement that.

Can someone help me out?

Torsten