Le Jeudi 2 Juin 2005 14:50, Herrmann, Sascha (GE Healthcare) a écrit :
> > Any library having static methods like
> > SomeLibraryClass.setXYZ(xyz);
> > SomeLibraryClass.getXYZ(xyz);
>
> Wow, wow, wow .... . You mean any class that has static methods gets
> shared?? Any class that calls static methods? Could you explain that a bit
> further, please?

No, i mean a shared class which has static methods could potentially serves as
a bridge for objects between web applications :)
I forgot the 'shared' in the sentence 'Any shared library having static
methods', sorry ;)

> > so i doubt usefull informations comes from it.
>
> It works for all the other methods I put this code in. It seems that Tomcat
> assigns the CL to thread when it's fetched from the pool.

Possible, might have a sense in terms of security.

> It's definitely the case. We have a static log variable in the classes. It
> holds the log4j logger reference. All the debug output from the class goes
> into the log file of the application that started first (the one that
> loaded the class). Even the output when I use the app that was started
> second. That's how I noticed in the first place.

is log4j a shared lib? if this is the case, might explain why all logs are in
one common file (see log4j explanations for details, it's stated log4j should
be put in WEB-INF/lib and nowhere else to prevent problems in J2EE
environnement). In your case, this simply mean the config is shared, like is
the log4j libraries.
Don't mis this point: static Logger Logger.getLogger(SomeClass.class), does
not mean the logger is 'the one for the class' but this mean the Logger is
'the one having the name some.package.SomeClass' this difference is subtle
but has lots of implications when several different classes with excaclty the
same name and package are using a common Log4j library.

> Are you familiar with the classloading stuff?

did lose my mind in the maze of classloading several time.

> I was wondering ... when the WebappClassLoader doesn't find the class in
> its path, and then delegates the loading to the shared classloader ... and
> when then the shared classloader loads the class .... who resolves the
> dependecies of this loaded class? Does the WebappClassLoader get a shot
> first, or is it still the shared classloader?

when the shared class loader loads a class in the delegation model, it assigns
itself to the class.getClassLoader(). That is any other class further loaded
by object of the first class will be loaded using the shared classloader.
This is the excpected behaviour. So in your question, the answer is "no the
WebappClassLoader is not given a chance to resolve as shared classloader does
not know it's childrens"

> What if the shared classloader loads a class, and then cannot resolve a
> referenced class (because it's in one of the app's WEB-INF\lib directories)

the sharedclassloader is unable to load anything in WEB-INF/lib, because it
doesn't know about it.
So in your case, it will ask it's parent (probably the JVM classLoader) which
will throw a ClassNotFoundException

> ... how does he determine which child WebappClassLoader he is to use? And
> who is registered in the JVM then as initiating classloader?

The delegation model goes down - top (from the calling class' classloader to
the root classloader), it nevers goes back down later. A class instanciated
by the shared classloader, is *never* able to load any class from a
WEB-INF/lib using Class.forName()

> I am asking because we have classes in our shared\lib directory. Those
> classes use a factory pattern to instantiate classes (that can be in the
> WEB-INF\lib dirs). Now, I wonder how these classes are loaded, that the
> factory class in shared\lib needs?

Sorry but if factories are in shared/lib, they are unable to load anything
from WEB-INF/lib .... with one exception, if they are passed as argument the
classloader of the WEB-INF/lib to use, they can use it to instanciate the
class. But this is not a suggested way to write factories.
However, a better behaviour would anyway be to put those factories in
WEB-INF/lib insteed of shared/lib

> Or am I thinking in the wrong direction? Does the WebappClassLoader always
> try first?
>
> Damn, I wish I would know this classloading stuff better.

We all learned the way they work the hardway ;)
and yes you are thinking in the wrong direction, you think the delegation
model is a 2 way path. This is not, it's a no return path.

> Do you have an idea why I cannot get logging output from the
> WebappClassLoaderS?

see messages above. ;)