Patrick Thomas wrote:

Your remark about POJOs being part of the API prompted me to chime in
-- William pretty much gave you the general answer, that Tomcat
doesn't seem to be the best way to go for this (because everything is
passed via http).

Maybe HTTP is the transport protocol for a messaging framework that runs on top. I don't know enough about all the different intra-JVM mechanisms I've head of CORBA, RMI over IIOP, EJB Remote, XML-RPC, and a dozen more related protocols. Some are too raw or not a framework, some cover multiple levels of the same problem. A more featureful Application Server (like JBoss) can already do EJB Local/Remote call design patterns out of the box, I don't (think I) need JBoss and everything it is. I suppose what throwing in the air is the question:

Is there a web resource that details each of the common intra-JVM communication mechanisms thats in place for their pro's con's, everything from memory consumption, runtime speed, security policies, programming interface, easy of setting up how to future proof remotable API usage so it remains compatible and extensible at the same time. Then what contracts does each of these mechanisms provide to the applications that use them.

HTTP could be a big part of a push or pull data mechanism or it maybe implemented outside of HTTP with raw sockets and another wire protocol, in this case it would be a JAR file that sides outside of tomcat itself and my application which is running in the same JVM as TC would use it independatly of TC.

Your serializing objects idea is a little too raw for my use, I'm looking for something with a more reliable contract and wider community testing than a roll your own TCPIP stack approach.

--
Darryl L. Miles