From: "Woodchuck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

then i installed a new web app that forced me to place
commons-logging.jar and log4j.jar into the ${Tomcat}/common/lib folder.
as a result, all my previous per web app logging no longer works.

does anyone have any suggestions on how i can have per web app logging
again?  i would like to keep my deployment process as web app isolated
as possible (ie. each web app deployed by WAR, drop it in and that's
it, no further steps necessary).

Is giving the uncooperative webapp its own Tomcat instance an option?

That's what I'd do. I have a third-party app that insists on all kinds of special configuration. I maintain the "project" as an expanded directory structure that overlays a Tomcat install.

--
Wendy Smoak