I'm having the same issue and after trying to follow the instructions given by
Paul Austin, I've got stuck on the part that says to add a listener.

There's no place for a listener in web.xml according to the dtd validation
file. Am I wrong ? (I'm using Tomcat 5.5.9 with the struts framework)

Everything else went fine. I've created a jar file with your source code. BTW,
where am I supposed to put this jar anyways ? in common/lib/ ??

And just to double check, is this log4j.xml file valid ? :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<!-- <!DOCTYPE log4j:configuration SYSTEM "log4j.dtd"> -->
<log4j:configuration xmlns:log4j="http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/";>
  <appender name="ConsoleAppender" class="org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender">
    <layout class="org.apache.log4j.SimpleLayout"/>
  </appender>
  <root>
    <priority value ="debug" />
    <appender-ref ref="ConsoleAppender"/>