hi,
  ours is a simple jsp / bean classes rendered over tomcat. we still still in
tomcat 3.xx version, in the process of migrating to tomcat 5 ( which is a long
project) and would have a handle to all the calls.

so at the moment, i have to log what users are doing and i was thinking a non
blocking call.

and probably the best way is to spwan a thread but lot of  people warn against
implementing thread in a servlet. but then this is the only point where i have
the hook to log every thing to any thing.

my initial idea is to have a thread pool, so that each and every call doesn't
spwan a new thread and use a thread to log / IO /db log etc , so that it
doesn't slow  the call coming from client.

any feed back will be appreciated.

thanks
dl