To be honest, I never tried it with 5.5.9
I just concluded it from the release notes and other posts on this mailing list.

AFAIK, tomcat uses the Eclipse JDT compiler by default to compile JSPs.
Maybe you have configured tomcat to use Suns javac?

Bjørn T Johansen wrote:
So how is this affecting the use of Tomcat 5.5.9?
I am using Java 5 features with Tomcat 5.5.9 without any problems, so what do I
need to do
to discover Tomcat 5.5.9 shortcomings with respect to Java 5?

Regards,

BTJ

Christoph Kutzinski wrote:

What's what story?

Java 5 features are not supported in latest tomcat stable (5.5.9), but
are in the latest alphas (5.5.10-5.5.12)
Just as I said in my previous mail.

Seak, Teng-Fong wrote:

   I've received an announcement mail telling that 5.5.12 is in alpha
phase!  So what's this story?  Actually, I'm more interested in using
the new "for" loop in Java5 than using generic.

Christoph Kutzinski wrote:

Hi,

it is only since 5.5.10
5.5.10 was already released, but it is only supposed to be "alpha".
I.e. not recommended for production use.
I have no idea, when the next stable tomcat version will be released

Christoph