Santosh Asbe wrote:

Hi all,

Hi. First of all, it is very advisable to use a separate thread when opening a new topic. I am not reprimanding you, I'm merely advising. I do not consider it rude to "jump into" someone elses thread of discussion - I do not consider this thread "mine", in the first place. The problem is, this thread has been going on for some time and most people are not going to bother reading it at all, so you will loose valuable audience.

A] I am using tomcat 4.1.30 ( 32 bit) with Apache 2.0.46 ( this is standard
apache which comes with RHEL 3.0). I am currently using RHEL 32 bit without
RAID confiuration.

There is no 32-bit version of TC, it is Java application. JVM, of course, is and should be 32/64-bit.

Now i am planning to move to 64 bit RHEL 3.0 with RAID configuration but he
the new Apache of RHEL 3.0 and same tomcat 4.1.30 ( 32 bit).
I am facing a problem with mod_jk.
I feel it is 32 bit complied mod_jk.

It most likely is.

Can anyone help me with the solution

Unless you can locate a 64-bit version of mod_jk, try compiling your own version. You'll need apache-devel-* RPM for that. Some might say that even 32-bit version of mod_jk will work, but I would fly away from it - mod_jk is a sensitive pieve of software, connecting (multithreaded) Apache with multithreaded TC and the version should be as close to the target platform, as possible.

B] Also my tomcat goes into hang state . So i have set an parameter
LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.21. That is my Linux kernel version. Is this ok. where
do i set this parameter. i have set it in the catalina.sh.

The location is OK, but you should not use it on the new kernel. Is it 2.6.x? Older releases of 2.6 branch had a problem with JVM and you had to set that parameter. New releases should be bug free.

C] Sometime when the tomcat is started it spwans more than one processes.
And then during shudown it creates problems. Also sometimes the list of open
files goes beyond 1024. that is he ulimit. due to which he tomcat doesnot
respond.

Linux kernel 2.4 emulates threads through lightweight processes/tasks. There is nothing fundamentally wrong about it (perhaps internal resource ecconomics are misused), AFAIK, but the "ps" output is going to confuse you, showing each thread as a separate process. Nothing problematic about it.

The number of 1024 processes/threads is alarming, however. TC will normally wpawn idle worker threads to prepare for future requests, but the parameter is usually less than 100. I'd say your application is launching threads for some reason. Either that or there is a serious bug in your system.

D] I am currently using 4.1.30 version of tomcat. Are there any fixes or
upgrades for this tomcat. Can you inform me the link for the same.

4.1.30 is the last "normal" RPM, I know of. There are newer versions, check out www.JPackage.org. Word of caution, prepare for RPM dependancy nightmare, unless you're using some RPM management tool.

Nix.