One more thing and i may have missed it in your note: Did you say you placed
mysql's jar file in the common\lib directory ?

John Cherouvim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:Hello

I've been trying to setup a mysql connection pool using JNDI as shown in
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/jndi-datasource-examples-howto.html
But no luck.

I never get to see the datasource registered Tomcat Administration Tool.
I've included in server.xml the following lines somewhere inside the
..

factory
org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSourceFactory

driverClassName
com.mysql.jdbc.Driver

url
jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/dea?autoReconnect=true

username myusername

password mypassword

maxActive 20

maxIdle 10

maxWait 40

I have Tomcat/5.0.28

And the following files in common\lib
mysql-connector-java-3.1.10-bin.jar
commons-collections-3.1.jar
commons-dbcp-1.2.1.jar
commons-pool-1.2.jar
*

*What I get in tomcat\logs\stdout.log is:
NotifyUtil::java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl.java:295)
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:161)
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:148)
at sun.net.NetworkClient.doConnect(NetworkClient.java:139)
at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.openServer(HttpClient.java:366)
at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.openServer(HttpClient.java:582)
at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.(HttpClient.java:292)
at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.(HttpClient.java:253)
at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.New(HttpClient.java:321)
at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.New(HttpClient.java:306)
at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.New(HttpClient.java:301)
at
sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.plainConnect(HttpURLConnection.java:469)
at
sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.connect(HttpURLConnection.java:460)
at
sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getOutputStream(HttpURLConnection.java:516)
at
org.netbeans.modules.web.monitor.server.NotifyUtil$RecordSender.run(NotifyUtil.java:237)

What did I miss? I've even tried setting up the JNDI in the
conf\Catalina\localhost\myapp.xml
And also tried instead of

I also tried all that with the org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver

Regards,
I.