To (mostly) capture what appears in the tomcat command interpreter window on
a Win32 platform, do the following:

    In the %TOMCAT_HOME%\bin directory is a file called TOMCAT.BAT
    Searching through the file, you will find a code snippet that looks like
this:

        :startServer
        echo Starting Tomcat in new window
        if "%2" == "-security" goto startSecure
        %_STARTJAVA% %TOMCAT_OPTS% -Dtomcat.home="%TOMCAT_HOME%" org.apache.
tomcat.startup.Tomcat %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9
        goto cleanup

    At the line that begins %_STARTJAVA%.... add ">
%TOMCAT_HOME%\LOGS\TOMSTART.LOG" (without quotes) so that
    it pipes the output of the stream to a file called TOMSTART.LOG in your
tomcat LOGS directory.  From there,
    you can cut and paste it or parse it using a log reader or do with it as
you like...

Logging is turned on by context in SERVER.XML in the %TOMCAT_HOME%\conf
directory.  It is specified in the <context> tag as debug=n where n is a
number from 0 to 9.  See below for content achieved in log files with
different debug levels set.

I hope this helps...

Level 0
   Errors and states that cause a significant change in program flow.
   => Anything that causes a Discon+Retry or a "giveup" message.

Level 1
   Important or inaccessible state information.
   => Connection start, Idle disconnection.

Level 2
   Rare things that cause a minor program flow adjustment.
   => No REST, No PASV, etc.

Level 3
   Errors and useful messages that are slightly too verbose or common
   for 0-2 or don't quite fit in the classifications.
   => Login banner

Level 4
   All remote responses or major results. (Trace results)
   => All "999 Xyzzy" responses received.

Level 5
   All remote commands or major tasks. (Trace jobs)
   => All commands sent to server.

Level 6
   General information that will not be too verbose but is normally a
   little less important. (Trace state)

Level 7
   Similar to level 3 but verbose or not as useful.

Level 8
   Very verbose information that'll probably be useful sometime.

Level 9
   Anything and everything else, debugs that probably won't be useful
   ever again.                                            (unclassified)