Thanks for Darrell's advice.
I've tried the method. But the message appear in the TOMSTART.LOG is
minimum:

"Starting tomcat. Check logs/tomcat.log for error messages"

in the logs directory I do have tomcat.log. I saw the modified datetime that
it was created some date ago (I don't know how it was created.) That means,
this tomcat.log is not updated either.

So, I don't know what's wrong....

my config again:
ver: Tomcat v3.1
OS: Windows98 (able to run on Win98? No need WinNT/2000, right?)

thanks again,
jackling.