Session tracking without cookies is a huge engineering mess.
I don't quite understand what your choice of server platform
has to do with it. Have you taken a look at the HttpSessionObject?
Is that what you mean with the bug you mention? (I've used cookies
solely, I don't know much about HttpSession...)