What about using mod_session?

Use it to turn off cookie tracking and then insert session id's into the
resource URL/list of environment variables?  You could then log the session id
out of the environment variables or read it directly as a GET request parameter
in Tomcat depending on how you are using/processing the session information.

If all or nearly all of your pages are .jsp AND you have very few static
resources to deliver like graphics you may be better off using just Tomcat and
skip the bridge from Apache to Tomcat.

Note, I know of no way except writing a custom interceptor to session track
static (non jsp/servlet) resources that tomcat delivers.

-Ellis Teer