'Serious Errors'? you'll have to be a bit more specific than that.

Exactly what errors is tomcat giving you? - Segmentation faults?
NullPointerExceptions? NoClassDefFoundException?

Also, be aware that Tomcat 3.2.2 is the latest stable version, and it
has fixes for a number of problems with versions prior to it.

This may have nothing to do with1 your problems, but it is advisable to
upgrade to 3.2.2, unless you have a particular reason to stick with 3.1

-Pete