Perhaps what would be useful here is some type of moderation system for
threads on the list that so people who find those topics that are most
helpful - i.e. don't seem to be covered elsewhere in the existing docs,
can be identified and flagged for inclusion in the 'official' docs.

It could be as simple as replying to a list topic with a  <helpful
rating='5'/>  (where rating was a score out of 5 stating how helpful the
thread was) tag or something in the subject and the mailing list
processor could send it to someone who could collate the threads etc.

There is probably a better way to do this, but hey, it's been a long day :)

I think the list represents excellent value in and of itself, however,
and generally people only turn to the list if other sources of
information come up short, or are not clear enough.

I think tomcat is a really good product, but for me it did take time to
figure out how the various config files, and their (initially) unwieldy
syntax works.

I no longer consider the tomcat configuration syntax unwieldy, but for a
newbie it can be hard to understand.

-Pete