From: William Kaufman [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2001 3:17 PM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: RE: Setting Tomcat HTTP Request Timeout

Tomcat isn't timing out--your browser is.  It gives up if it doesn't get a
response from the server in a certain amount of time.  And I don't think you
can change that setting on any browser I've seen.

You could try calling ServletOutputStream.flush() each time you write data:
hopefully, that will tell the browser that you're working on it.  But,
depending on your server configuration, the data might still get bufferred,
and flush() might not actually flush any data.

The only useful answer is, Don't make a servlet that takes that long.
Profile your code, calculate things ahead of time, cache results, split up
the page, do work in multiple threads, all the standard speed-up things.

                                        -- Bill K.