http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-3.3-doc/appdev/deployment.html

 > Supposedly you can create them with deploytool, but I only know
 > how to do this with the gui version and don't have an x-windows
 > server on the server I'm working on.

Very easy. Use Ant: http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/index.html . Ant is
the default build tool (like 'make') for Jakarta applications.
And take a look at the Tomcat source examples/build.sh and
examples/build.xml files to see how Ant builds a WAR file.

> I've also read that you can use jartool to create WAR
> files, but the instructions said you will need to create your own version
> of the deployment descriptor.  What does this mean?  create my own
> web.xml?  I have a web.xml but don't really use it for much (not all the
> servlets are in the web.xml).

Yup, it means create your own web.xml. Just make sure it is in
appname/WEB-INF/.

> Is there anything special we need to do in the web.xml/deployment
> descriptor file?

Nope.

> and will a WAR created with the jar tool preserve the
> directory structure of the application?

Yup.

--
John Alex Hebert