Thanx alot Martin for replying.

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin van den Bemt [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, August 09, 2001 3:49 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: TomCat!!TomCat!!

> HI Everyone,
> I am new to TomCat and am really interested in knowing lot about this.

Join the club ;=)
> I actually want to try this on some of our present system(Servlets), where
> there are some url redirection, sessions and so on.
> My doubt is
> 1) will Tomcat work fine without a webserver, what i mean is will servlets
> and jsp written and placed on tomcat,will they be  accessible from net
> without any webserver directing the request to Tomcat.

No problem. Be aware of the fact that it default to port 8080 and binding to
the default http port 80 is not always possible (depending on your os). I
prefer to let apache handle statics and tomcat handle dynamics.

> 2) will there be any security problem involved.

Always. This maby not the answer that you where looking for, so : tomcat is
made as safe as possible, but there can always be a problem. So actively do
security audits on you system. The combination apache / tomcat gives me a
lot of confidence (on linux at least).

> 3) what about sessionId, usually how long is this Id. Do we have
> any control
> over this SessionId size.

As far as I understood you can use your own sessionID generator. Can't tell
you how it works though. There is a reference to the sessionID generator in
the server.xml (at least for tomcat 3.3).