Tomcat is a servlet container - it adheres to the servlet specification
(see http://java.sun.com/products/servlet).  If you also adhere to that
specification, then you will be able to deploy your application across any
number of different products, not just tomcat.

as for jserv... if you want to continue using it, then feel free.  but
afaik there is little or no support for it these days, and you certainly
wont see the functionality expanding like servlets...

cheers
dim