I can't claim to be up to date with the latest state
of Xerces, Xalan, and Jaxp, so there may be new issues
that I'm not aware of with respect to combinations
of Xerces, Xalan, etc.

The fundamental problem in Tomcat 3.2.x is that:

1) The web server classes, including Jasper, live on
   the CLASSPATH.

2) I believe it is Jasper that requires an XML parser,
   so an XML parser has to exist on the CLASSPATH too.

3) Because Tomcat 3.2 uses the Java 2 sequence of
   classloader searching (as does Tomcat 3.3), classes
   found on the CLASSPATH take precedence over classes
   local to the web applications.  Thus, all web
   applications are forced to use the XML parser on the
   CLASSPATH.

Jasper doesn't care which XML parser.  So you can
upgrade the Jaxp 1.0.1 version (jaxp.jar + parser.jar)
to crimson.jar (the current version has the jaxp.jar
classes included) or xerces.jar depending on your
other requirements.  However, if you have two web
applications that want different versions of XML parser,
you are stuck.

Tomcat 3.3 avoids forcing a single XML parser on all
the web applications by building a more complicated
classloader hierarchy which hides most of the server
and Jasper classes from the web applications.  A side
effect of this is that adding classes and jars is more
complicated than simply adding them to the CLASSPATH.
This is why the tomcat.sh/tomcat.bat script ignores your
CLASSPATH setting since that is all too often the
wrong place to add them.

Adding classes for Tomcat 3.3 is documented here:

<http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-3.3-doc/tomcat-ug.html#configuring_classes>

If this doesn't help, please describe the error you are
seeing and how you have changed the default Tomcat 3.3
configuration.

Cheers,
Larry