----- Original Message -----
From: "Nikola Milutinovic" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, December 04, 2001 3:18 PM
Subject: Re: HTTP method POST is not supported by this URL

> Larry Isaacs wrote:
>
> > If you POST to a servlet which extends HttpServlet and that
> > servlet doesn't override the doPost() method, the default
> > doPost() method outputs this error message.
>
> Why? I thought that the default "doPost()" just calls "service()". I
didn't have
> to override anything in GenericServlet, so you could be right.
>
> Nix.
>[...]

YourServlet extends javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet, and
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet extends javax.servlet.GenericServlet,
the following is from HttpServlet in jakarta-servletapi-4-src.zip in
www.Apache.org:

 protected void doPost(HttpServletRequest req, HttpServletResponse resp)
 throws ServletException, IOException
 {
 String protocol = req.getProtocol();
 String msg = lStrings.getString("http.method_post_not_supported");
 if (protocol.endsWith("1.1")) {
     resp.sendError(HttpServletResponse.SC_METHOD_NOT_ALLOWED, msg);
 } else {
     resp.sendError(HttpServletResponse.SC_BAD_REQUEST, msg);
 }
 }

it doesn't response anything to the client, so you need to override it
in YourServlet.

Bo
Dec.04, 2001