In general I agree with you and I never put static HTML pages under Tomcat,
but the pages I'm talking about now are created by Tomcat itself after
invoking a servlet to store the result of the invocation... I didn't like
the idea that Tomcat would had saved these HTML files under Apache
DocumentRoot...

> Said that, there is an alternate solution to your
> problem:
>
> Create a filter that sets the expire header.

Which kind of filter?

Cheers,
Michele