From: Micael Padraig Og mac Grene [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, 14 December 2001 9:41 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Micael mac Grene: DataSource and Pooled Connection

At 02:13 PM 12/13/01 -0800, you wrote:

>On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, christophe marcourt wrote:
>
> > Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 21:07:47 +0100
> > From: christophe marcourt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > To: Tomcat Users List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Subject: DataSource and Pooled Connection
> >
> > I have a stupid question ?
> >
> > in the JNDI tomcat how to, it says : " The J2EE Platform Specification
> > requires J2EE Application Servers to make available a DataSource
> > implementation (that is, a connection pool for JDBC connections) for
> > this purpose. Tomcat 4 offers exactly the same support "
> >
> > Do I understand right ?
> > A DataSource retrieve by JNDI in tomcat 4.0.1 is a Pooled Connection ?
> >

>It's actually a javax.sql.DataSource implementation.
>
> > Christophe
> >

>Craig

First, I think I speak for thousands in thanking you for your
contributions.  Despite the flame wars, I hope you guys and gals know how
much we appreciate your efforts.  Second, could you expand on what Tomcat
puts into a pooled connection for javax.sql.DataSource?

I have been using Postgresql and getting a pooled connection with JBoss and
Tomcat and really do not understand what the "hay" is going on.  Is that
from JBoss?  I am not getting a pooled connection from Postgresql, even
though I though I was.  I so far have just been using Tomcat 3.2.3, I think
it is, and JBoss and am using a standalone application thus far with
Tomcat.  But, I definely am getting a pooled connection according to "ps
aux" on my box.  I am getting an initial pool of five conncetions, I
think.  Maybe six.

Thanx,

-- micael